This event has ended
Various Locations, Thursday 21st November - Sunday 24th November
The Jonathan Swift Festival 2019 – Georgian Dublin, Behind the Facade.
This year's festival explores Jonathan Swift's Dublin! Take a tour of the city themed around the Georgian period, taste food from the period or have a go at singing Handel's Messiah in Saint Patrick's Cathedral. There are a huge variety of events for all interests and ages, including:
- Swift's Dublin Tour with Pat Liddy – explore the city of Swift's birth, unearthing an intriguing journey through the streets of this Fair City. Thursday-Sunday, 2.00pm. Tickets: €13 | €15.
- “Dr Cope's Rampant Daughter”: Jonathan Swift and his Medical Friends – Swift had a wide social circle in Dublin, including many of the elite of the medical profession. This talk will look at Swift's connections to the medical world, especially a number of the Presidents of the Royal College of Physicians of Ireland including Dr Cope and his “rampant daughter” @ The Science Gallery. Friday, 6.00pm. Free: Register
- Georgian Dublin; The Forces that Shaped the City – Talk with Dr Diarmuid Ó Gráda exploring the untold stories of Georgian Dublin @ City Assembly House (Irish Georgian Society). Saturday, 3.00pm. Free: Register
- The Annual Dublin International Symposium on Jonathan Swift – Annual academic forum, open to the public, which since 2002 has presented the latest scholarly research on the life and works of Swift. This year, speakers hail from Canada, France, Ireland and the United States @ Marsh's Library. Saturday, 2.00pm. No registration required, all welcome.
- Protest and Dissent in 18th Century Dublin, with Dónal Fallon – From Dean Swift to James Napper Tandy, via The Liberty Boys and Charles Lucas, this tour will examine the angry city of the 1700s. Tickets: €10.00.
- Singing For Your – Join four members of the Cathedrals' choirs @ The Lord Edward Pub. Thursday, 7.00pm. Free: Register
- Swift and Vanessa – a play by Martina Reilly @ St Patrick's Cathedral. Friday, 7.00pm. Free: Register
- Casual Choir – Handel's Messiah. Ever wanted to perform Handel's Messiah? Join choir director, Bernie Sherlock, for a day of singing workshops followed by a live performance in front of your family and friends @ St Patrick's Cathedral. Sunday, 10.00am-8.30pm. €0 | €10 | €15.
- Family Printing Day with the Print Museum: Explore printing presses from the Georgian period and have a go at creating some of your own prints. Sunday, 10.00am-1.00pm. Drop in. Free.
- Dine like a Georgian in the beautiful George's Hall in Dublin Castle for afternoon lunch. This 3 course meal will be accompanied by entertainment between courses. Sunday, 2.00pm. Tickets: €55.
The Jonathan Swift Festival is hosted by Saint Patrick's Cathedral and produced by a small but dedicated team of Swift enthusiasts. Supported by Fáilte Ireland, Dublin City Council and Dublin UNESCO City of Literature.
- Thursday 21st November - Sunday 24th November
- €0 - €55
- St Patrick's Cathedral, Saint Patrick's Close, Wood Quay, Dublin 8, Ireland