This event has ended
Online, Wednesday 6th May - Tuesday 30th June
The Ark @ Home: Love Song Installation – The Ark Dublin are creating an online version of their Love Song Installation and are asking children aged 6+ to record their own “Love Songs” at home to be a part of it!
The Love Song Installation is a project by Belgian composer Serge Verstock, but the main participants are 200 heart-shaped recording devices, on which Irish children recorded their own Love Songs in the form of a song, their favourite sound or in some other playful way. It's an auditory encyclopaedia of love! The installation was due to be displayed as part of the BIG BANG Dublin! 2020 festival this April. But now, as sadly the festival had to be cancelled, The Ark are inviting you to make your own Love Song at home and be part of the virtual Love Song Installation. The Ark will share the love songs they receive, but will be adding new love songs regularly so whenever you're ready, send yours in and it'll be added to the installation. It's fun and easy to do!
- Firstly, download this worksheet which gives you simple instructions of how to go about coming up with your own short Love Song.
- Love Songs can be about your favourite place, colour, pet, food, activity, person or it could simply be your favourite sound.
- If you play an instrument you could record that as your Love Song. We know you'll probably have lots of ideas, but try to keep your Love Song short – about 20 to 30 seconds is plenty.
- When you are ready, ask a grown up to help you record your Love Song as an audio file on their phone.
- Use this link to send in your recording. The Ark will upload it onto their webpage and let you know where you can find it.
- Have fun listening to your own recording and discovering the Love Songs of lots of other children in Ireland in the virtual installation.
When everything gets back to normal, you'll get a chance to visit The Ark and record your Love Song onto one of the heart-shaped devices too, so that you can be part of the physical installation when it's displayed in the future. Need more help? Watch children recording their Love Songs at The Ark in February 2020 in this video from The Irish Times here.